[Digikam-users] re arranging tags into a new hierarchy - what happens?

elle stone jrle1 at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 17:03:50 GMT 2008

Hi Arnd and Gerhard,

My apologies, new user here! I can't replicate the failure to keep tags in
synch with images as I edit tag names and rearrange the tag hierarchy, so
clearly it was "creative user error".

However, I am confused about the interaction between database tags and IPTC
keywords.  I have digikam configured like this:  Under "Configure - digikam;
Metadata" "IPTC Actions" "Save image tags as "Keywords" tag" is checked; and
""Common Metadata Actions" "Save image rating as tags" is checked.

Try this: 1. Create five tags: Art, Documentary, FriendsNfamily, Assignment,
Trash.  Assign a tag to each image. 2. Edit tag "Art" to change it to "art".
Now all images that have database tag "art" have IPTC Keywords (as shown by
the right sidebar Metadata IPTC tab) "Art, art".  3. Add "supertag" "why"
and move all five tags under the new "supertag" "why".  Now the IPTC
Keywords field shows "Art,art,why/art".  As I update and reorganize my
database, I want to replace (not append) the IPTC keywords (right sidebar
metadata IPTC) with the updated tags in the database.  Other people might
prefer to append rather than replace - is there a user option that I've
overlooked?