[Digikam-users] re arranging tags into a new hierarchy - what happens?

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 07:07:39 GMT 2008

Am Friday 25 January 2008 schrieb elle stone:
> In digikam (0.9.3), what happens to already-tagged images when the tag
> hierarchy is rearranged?  In the image-management software that I used
> under windows, if you rearranged the hierarchy, perhaps grouping 5 existing
> tags under one new "super" tag, the database automatically rearranged the
> tag-assignment for all images already tagged with any of the five tags.
> So, "tag1" on image.jpg (before the change in hierarchy) became
> Supertag.tag1 on image.jpg (after the change in hierarchy).
>
> I played around today with rearranging the hierarchy in (a copy of) my
> digikam database, and nothing good happened - the tags disassociated from
> the images.  I have 181 images and five tags in my test database.  Every
> image is tagged with one (and only one - these particular tags are mutually
> exclusive tags) of the five tags.  These five tags logically fall into one
> group and I'd like to put them in one group before moving on to adding the
> next group of tags (and as I develop my tagging scheme, I suspect that
> these two "intake" groups will find themselves grouped together, so the
> hierarchy will be 3-deep for the "intake" tags). So what is the best way,
> if there is a way, to get the new hierarchy to show up in the image tags?

My tests were successful as Arnd's, and I wait for your exact procudure to
reproduce that jumbling of tags.

> This question of tag hierarchy leaves totally to one side the corresponding
> question of what happens to the metadata embedded in the image - right now
> I'm just asking about regrouping the tags in the database - how/ how
> difficult is it to change the hierarchy.  Though of course the next
> question is "how to get the revised tags/tag structure" written to IPTC,
> flat or dotted.  Personally, I like dotted, so that "Mytown" under
> "Mystate" becomes "Mystate.Mytown" in IPTC rather than "Mystate" "Mytown".
> But both options have their drawbacks and I think I saw (but can't seem to
> relocate) reference to there being a choice in digikam as to what happens.
>
> Elle

If you set-up digikam to save metadata into the IPTC fields, any time you move
or change tags they will be re-written into all pertaining files (which might
take a while if you move on top of the tree).

Gerhard
--
http://www.gerhard.fr