[Digikam-users] Timeline view feedback

Gandalf Lechner gandalf.lechner at esi.ac.at
Fri Jan 25 09:11:18 GMT 2008

Am Freitag, 25. Januar 2008 08:16:59 schrieb Gilles Caulier:

> > > Totally agree. You is not alone to report this viewpoint. There are few
> > > pending task to finalize code as well (outside cursor and selection),
> >
> > and
> >
> > > after i will merge selection area with cursor...
>
> Done in svn. Checkout source code and try again. Let's me hear your
> viewpoint...

Wow, impressive how fast development can be!

I like the current version better than the last one, since the visual
appearance of the two parts of the cursor has been unified. However, the
functionality apparently remained unchanged: One still has to use the small
bottom part of the cursor for selections, and the big top part mainly for
counting images without filtering the thumbnail view.

In my opinion, the following behaviour would be perfect:

- Completely merge the cursor into a single object, so that there is no
distinction anymore between the top and bottom part (actually, why not throw
away the bottom part).
- Give the complete cursor the behaviour which at the moment only its bottom
part has, i.e. use it for selecting date ranges.
- Either keep the blue line at the bottom to indicate the current selection
range, or give the selected "columns" a different color/look/background.
- Update the image count in the top right according to the number of images
currently selected, not the number of images in the column which is currently
occupied by the cursor.
- Update the date in the top left according to the current selection time
range, e.g. "2005-2007" or "03.-08.2006"
- Maybe provide a vertical axis with a scale for getting a quick idea about
the relevant number of images involved.

This is, of course, just my idea about a perfect timelineview ...

One more thing: The boundaries of the timeline are for some reason chosen to
far in the past/future. In my collection, I have images dating from 1977 to
2008. However, the timeline starts from 1971 and ends at 2016. Is this
intended?

Best regards,
Gandalf