[Digikam-users] re arranging tags into a new hierarchy - what happens?

elle stone jrle1 at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 02:32:12 GMT 2008

So with another copy of my test database I managed to carefully work my way
through all five tags, selecting all images with a given tag and then
dragging the tag to its new place in the hierarchy.  Doable, but if I change
my mind tomorrow (hopefully I'm not the only person who finds tagging to be
a work in progress), and if the number of images grows (there are about 5000
images in my main database, covering two years of digital images, but that
number will grown by large chunks when we start scanning images in), then
drag-and-drop one tag at a time will be cumbersome at best, and unmanageable
at worst.

So is there a better way to redo the tag hierarchy? I mean besides the
obvious "do it the way you want it the first time".

Also, after I got everything dragged over to its new place in the hierarchy,
I changed the name of the supertag - the new tag appeared in the IPTC field,
but it didn't replace the old tag.  I suppose if I poke around I'll find a
method, short of resorting to exiftool, to update the IPTC field to reflect
the new top-of-the-hierarchy name?

elle