[Digikam-users] re arranging tags into a new hierarchy - what happens?

elle stone jrle1 at twcny.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 00:37:02 GMT 2008

In digikam (0.9.3), what happens to already-tagged images when the tag
hierarchy is rearranged?  In the image-management software that I used under
windows, if you rearranged the hierarchy, perhaps grouping 5 existing tags
under one new "super" tag, the database automatically rearranged the
tag-assignment for all images already tagged with any of the five tags.  So,
"tag1" on image.jpg (before the change in hierarchy) became Supertag.tag1 on
image.jpg (after the change in hierarchy).

I played around today with rearranging the hierarchy in (a copy of) my
digikam database, and nothing good happened - the tags disassociated from
the images.  I have 181 images and five tags in my test database.  Every
image is tagged with one (and only one - these particular tags are mutually
exclusive tags) of the five tags.  These five tags logically fall into one
group and I'd like to put them in one group before moving on to adding the
next group of tags (and as I develop my tagging scheme, I suspect that these
two "intake" groups will find themselves grouped together, so the hierarchy
will be 3-deep for the "intake" tags). So what is the best way, if there is
a way, to get the new hierarchy to show up in the image tags?

This question of tag hierarchy leaves totally to one side the corresponding
question of what happens to the metadata embedded in the image - right now
I'm just asking about regrouping the tags in the database - how/ how
difficult is it to change the hierarchy.  Though of course the next question
is "how to get the revised tags/tag structure" written to IPTC, flat or
dotted.  Personally, I like dotted, so that "Mytown" under "Mystate" becomes
"Mystate.Mytown" in IPTC rather than "Mystate" "Mytown".  But both options
have their drawbacks and I think I saw (but can't seem to relocate)
reference to there being a choice in digikam as to what happens.

Elle