[Digikam-users] digikam's "Settings, Configure, Identity" IPTC fields

elle stone jrle1 at twcny.rr.com
Thu Jan 24 23:25:28 GMT 2008

elle stone wrote:

> 2a. "Creator" and "Author" are "shared fields", meaning whatever is
> entered into the one appears in the other, in the upcoming/developing
> (Adobe-led) XMP standards.  Likewise "Author Title" and "Creator's Job
> Title" are shared (these "shared fields" are a "backwards compatibility"
> thing as XMP evolves to include more than IPTC and EXIF).  So if you work
> for an organization, your job title goes here.  If you work for yourself
> or take pictures as a passion rather than as a profession, I suppose
> "Photographer" or "Starving Artist" might go here.

In Digikam under the right sidebar "Metadata - IPTC" the terminology is
"By-line" and "By-line Title", which is another "shared field" right along
with "Creator" and "Author".  In Digikam, under "Settings, Configure
digikam, Identity, Photographer Information" the terminology is "Author" and
"Author Title".  What you enter under "Author" shows up under "By-line",
which could be confusing, I suppose.

Exiftool, which seems to be "the" way to access metadata if you find your
metatdata "wants and needs" exceed your gui, uses "By-line" and "By-line
Title" to access these two fields.  "By-line" seems to be the older
terminology, harking back to the days of newspaper photos being sent over
the wires.