[Digikam-users] images created through open-with dialog do not shine up in current session

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:05:11 GMT 2008

2008/1/23, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>:

> Am Mittwoch 23 Januar 2008 schrieben Sie:
> > Marcus,
> >
> > Your problem sound like similar than mine or Caspar.
> >
> > A new image add to collection is generally always detected by digiKam.
> >
> > Only few time, (around 10%), new items are not detected properlly.
> >
> > I have seen this problem to enable counts of items in folder view and to
> > work on editor on my RAW files.
> > I use 2 flat screens at home, in xinerama mode. first screen in album
> gui,
> > second is Editor or LitghtTable (i missing a 3nd screen for that (:=)))
> >
> > When i save from editor a raw file to PNG, i can see imediatly if new
> items
> > created are count in folder view from album gui.
> >
> > I can see the same problem when items are moved frrom a physical album
> to a
> > new one. in rare cases, counts of items are wrong. restarting digiKam
> fix
> > the problem.
> >
> > The main problem is than digiKam do not detect sometimes the new files
> on
> > HDD and do not start a scan to import items in Database. My first
> > impression is a problem in KDirWatch witch do the detection job (using
> FAM
> > service)
> >
> > A second way is a race condition somewhere, perhaps in DIO class witch
> > process copy/move/scan of files in background and are invocated by
> > KDirWatch.
> >
> > I'm waiting than Marcel try to reproduce the problem to be sure.
> >
> > My config is given below :
> >
> > Mandriva 2008.0 - PIV 3.4Ghz HT - 2 Gb RAM - SATA HDD 350 GB - KDE 3.5.8
> >
> > Marcel, i'm waiting your comments...
>
> I have tried now to reproduce this by copying an image by a script to an
> empty
> album and deleting that afterwards. I was _not_ able to reproduce the
> problem
> with this test.
> This may mean that my system does not have this problem, or the test case
> does
> not trigger it. (I tried often enough to consider the result as
> significant
> for the proposed 10% occurrence).
>
> Do you usually encounter this when digikam is busy with copying or
> changing of
> other files, or also when nothing else is active?

Nothing else is active when i have work on my 1000 RAW pictures. Only
digiKam  with LightTable and Editor running on my computer.

This can be relevant of number of albums drived by KDirWatch / FAM to check
dirty places on HDD.

Perhaps there is a limit somewhere (not in digiKam of course)...

Currently, my computer host 4352 pictures (20Gb of RAW + PNG + JPG) into 232
albums.

Marcus, Caspar, How many albums and how many items do you drive with digiKam
?

Gilles