[Digikam-users] New DigiKam user

Mike Meiser groups-yahoo-com at mmeiser.com
Thu Jan 17 22:08:34 GMT 2008

I just found the digikam-users mailing list.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to make sure I'm getting mail.

I just started using digikam though I've been reading about it for
quite some time.

I'm using 9.2 on Ubuntu though I may soon figure out how to run more
recent versions.

I have to say, I'm very impressed so far. My compliments to the developers.

The only major bug I've found so far is a dependency on Konqueror when
using the "export to flickr" feature.  Specifically when you select
export to flickr it looks for the service "kfmclient".

I correctly deduced this was Konqueror because Digikam is a KDE
project and indeed after installing Konqueror I was able to properly
authorize and use Digikam's export to flickr feature.

Right now I'm having a hard time geo tagging my photos.  I'm hoping
someone may provide me some feedback on how to get this working.

I've found the GPS tab... but it appears that all the options are
greyed out.  I know I've seen some screen snaps on the digikam website
showing this feature working, so I assume that you can plot a GPS
point for a photo even if there was none in the EXIF info from the
camera (most camera's still don't do GPS of course).

So far I'm very pleased.  I have not used iPhoto since version 6, and
I hear it has some newer features, but hands down from what I've seen
DigiKam blows iPhoto away.  I just hope I can figure out how to get it
installed on my Macbook sometime soon.  Right now I'm using it on
Ubuntu.

Again, my compliments to the chef.

I'm amazed at how highly developed the editing, batch processing, and
other features are. Eat my shorts iPhoto. :)

 I look forward to chatting with others in the Digikam community.

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog