[Digikam-users] linking instead of copying

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 16:36:02 GMT 2008

Am Saturday 05 January 2008 schrieb Eddie Armstrong:
> Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> > I propose to add a statement to the welcome page (Album root) that makes
> > clear that Albums are a representation of folders. This is the page that
> > is probably read by everyone starting to work with digiKam.
> >
> > "digiKam is a photo management program for the K Desktop Environment. It
> > is designed to import, organize, improve and export your digital
> > photographs on your computer.
> > You are currently in the Album view mode of digiKam. The Albums are the
> > real containers where your files are stored, they are identical with the
> > folders on disk."
>
> Gerhard
> Obviously this would clarify the matter - and I accept Digikam uses
> 'albums' in it's own way - I would rather it used the word in the way
> others used it.
Your arguments against our current use of albums merit to be considered, in
particular in the long run. digiKam doesn't want to be different for the sake
of being different! It's true Albums are ingrained in digiKam, and adding
virtual albums on top of searches, tags, calendars and collections makes no
sense anymore. Maybe we should just drop albums in favor of files, or drop
the collections, replace them by albums and call the now Albums files.

I would be interested to know a bit more about the 'others' you mention, who
uses Albums as virtual containers?

We're well aware of the directory/folder circus, but it's (if I'm not
mistaken) a KDE policy to use the word 'folder'.

Gerhard

--
http://www.gerhard.fr