[Digikam-users] linking instead of copying

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 06:04:53 GMT 2008

Am Friday 04 January 2008 schrieb Eddie Armstrong:
> Eddie Armstrong wrote:
> >> If you want to have all album virtual, well use only virtual folders..
> >
> > So whats wrong with links or aliases?
>
> I thought this might not make sense - what I meant was, delete a
> reference to an object (a link) and have to delete the object itself
> (the file/ directory) specifically.
>
> I don't think you should expose your files to the ambiguity of calling
> actual 'directories' something else- it is easy to forget what an
> 'album' is - especially when other programs - and the rest of the world
> - uses this term differently.
>
> Eddie

Gilles and Eddie,
I propose to add a statement to the welcome page (Album root) that makes clear
that Albums are a representation of folders. This is the page that is
probably read by everyone starting to work with digiKam.

"digiKam is a photo management program for the K Desktop Environment. It is
designed to import, organize, improve and export your digital photographs on
your computer.
You are currently in the Album view mode of digiKam. The Albums are the real
containers where your files are stored, they are identical with the folders
on disk."

Gerhard