[Digikam-users] (no subject)

Michel Pottier Michel.Pottier at free.fr
Fri Jan 4 23:02:29 GMT 2008

Hello all
Excuse me for my bad english.

Mikolaj Machowski a écrit :
> Dnia Friday 04 of January 2008, Gilles Caulier napisał:
>
>> no, no ,no...
>>
>> I hate to use regular expression everywhere. It's complex and not user
>> friendly, especially into a gui.
>>
>> Take a look into photo-management application under windows and forget
>> linux command line here. We programming a guin, and we need a simple way
>> to change behaviour of text filter, using by beginners not experts !

I agree with this point of view.
>> My prefered solution is to implement a pop-up menu over the line edit
>> widget (like rating filter option available on status bar)
>>

> This functionality would be hidden from common user. Even with GUI they
> would use that really rarely. But for power users it would be nice.

I think it will be very harmful for digikam to have a hidden
functionality. The first step  says "expert users know that they can do
that ..." The next step will be  "Ho everybody knows that by using
regular expressions he can do that .. this is implemented". At the final
step Digikam will be used by a small community of experts because the
functionality will be not implemented in a comprehensive form for
non-expert users! Very harmful!
> More user friendly could google-like syntax:
>
> asdf filetype:jpg -date:2007*
>
> It should find file with something with 'asdf' string somewhere AND with
> filetype JPG but not done in 2007.

Why do you explain this syntax? It was not clear for everybody? (In fact
not for me :-[ ).

Hoping that you understand my poor english, have a good weekend and,
many thanks to the Digikam team.