[Digikam-users] Digikam IPTC

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:08:08 GMT 2008

On 19/02/2008, michael hughes <leftbrainorama at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I really don't think this is "trolling", nor do I find it rude. I am
> english, living in Germany with a german wife and a kid that goes to an
> american school. I speak three languages and travel extensively all over the
> world. To refer to cultural insensitivity is a laugh. Oh and by the way I am
> having therapy and the guy is very good.

The problem with "trolling" is the way that it's evolved. To me it is
clear that you are not trolling, that's why I decided to answer in the
first place. If you go through the archives you will see that I'm
rather quite on this list.

However, I know that the more experienced in audience will consider
you trolling not because of your intention, but rather because you
quite unsuspectingly used some key terms that are typical of trolls.
For instance, you mentioned problems without proposing a solution. For
another, you called the product immature in relation to it's closed
source competitor. Those are key traits of trolls, and the highly
oversensitive troll detectors went off. That's not your fault, nor the
developer's fault. It is the fault of the trolls who brought us to
this very sensitive situation.

I insist that I can call this a culture clash at point the finger at
cultural insensitivity. I also speak three languages, and I've lived
in two different countries on two different continents, with two
different languages and two different religions. And I insist that
this misunderstanding is because there is an unfortunate overlap
between the set of things that are fine for you to say and the set of
things which will offend the devs. That is called culture clash.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.