[Digikam-users] 2 Useraccounts with the same database

Loïc Brarda loic.brarda21 at fnac.net
Wed Feb 13 12:46:46 GMT 2008

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:43:31 +0100
> From: "Gilles Caulier" <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Digikam-users] 2 Useraccounts with the same database
> To: "digiKam - Digital Photo Management for the masses"
>         <digikam-users at kde.org>
>
> digiKam for KDE4 will be a solution for this problem. Look this screenshot :
>
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Screenshots/digikamKDE4_15.png
>
> You can separate now roots album path and database file path. Just set a
> different place to host DB file for each account and all will be fine.
>
> Warning, digiKam for KDE4 still unstable. Do not use in production...
>
> Gilles Caulier

I'm not sure it will solve the problem. If I understand well, they
also want to share the database, not only the pictures.
I didn't tried but it should be doable with user & group access
rights. I would do it like this :
- define a group with the 2 users (I name this group digikam)
- chgrp -R digikam digikam_root_folder
- chmod -R g+rw digikam_root_folder
- insure that the users have access to the digikam_root_folder (x
attribute on all parent folders)
Then each user defines the same 'Album Library path' (digikam_root_folder).
I will also probably have the digikam_root_folder not in a home
directory but in a separate folder (like /photos).
A script to run digikam with lock management could help avoid database
corruption.

As I said, I did not tried but it should work. If it does not (if
sqlite checks the user), it could also be solved by a script that
would change the owner of the db before calling digikam.

Cheers,
  Loïc