[Digikam-users] More than one physical Album root?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 4 09:41:25 GMT 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:06:46AM +0100, Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> As I got a new Digital Kamera I am trying to get used to sort and manage
> my pictures with digikam. I like its concept of doing this very much,
> but I have one tiny question out there:
>
> I wonder if it is possible (I suppose not now actually) to have not one
> but two physical Albums. While this looks like complicating stuff only
> for providing a useless Feature, this would solve one kind of problem:
>
> There are images I would keep public while roswing and looking at them
> with family and firends, there are other kind of pictures I would keep
> private between me and my girlfriend. So these kind of pictures would
> reside on a separate dm-crypted partition...
>
> Or is there any other tiny gimmick o overlooked which could solve such a
> scenario most comfortable?

There's no *very* easy way of doing it but it can be done fairly
simply.

If you go into the digikam settings menu and go to the Album settings
you can specify the directory which is the root of the digikam albums.

You can change from one 'physical' Album to another by changing this
setting.  You'll have to remember to change back from the girlfriend
ones yourself though, digikam won't do it automatically or give you a
reminder.

(There are other ways of doing essentially the same thing by having a
wrapper script which plays with the digikam configuration file but the
above is the easiest way IMHO)

--
Chris Green