[Digikam-users] beginner's question

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sun Dec 21 14:56:21 GMT 2008

> I am new to Digikam, having used Picassa before. I am stuck on the first
> stage of using Digikan, that of "finding" and importing photos into
> Digikam. I have thousands of photos, dispersed all over my computer
> which has 3 hard drives. As I was a Windows user for many years a lot of
> these photos are on a NTFS drive, others are in an external hard drive
> and others are on CD's or DVD's.
>
> On Picasa all I did was have the program "search" my computer and all my
> photos were "imported" to Picasa. How does one import photos into
> Digikam after installing Digikam in my Kubuntu KDE 4.1 program. The main
> problem seems to be importing photos that aren't on a Linux partition.
>
> If this is a question that has been dealt with before, I apologize and
> if one points me in the right direction I'll try to figure it out.

You have a valid question. First part of your answer is that you want to use
digikam 0.10 for KDE4 when it is released, or try the current 0.10.0-beta7.
We do not have any functionality to search your harddisk, you have to add the
directories of your photos manually. Any hard disk partition, USB drive and
removable media (*) should work. If you encounter problems, report it via
bugs.kde.org.

(*) For CDs and DVDs it is the best solution to give them a unique label when
you create them in your burning application.

Marcel