[Digikam-users] wish: correct thumbs of xcf's with layers

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 12:23:22 GMT 2008

2008/12/2 Daniel Bauer <linux at daniel-bauer.com>

> Hi everybody
>
> When I have xcf-files with different layers digikam shows only one of those
> layers in the album thumbs. I thought it would show the active, the most
> top
> or must bottom layer, but it seems it just shows a more or less random
> one...
>
> It would be great if digikam would be capable to show the composite
> thumbnail
> (i.e. all active layers combined) because I have all my photos organized in
> digikam.  Don't know if this is possible (easy) for you, but if you say so,
> I'll post a wish to the bug reports.
>
> Or, is there is a possibility that I can control how the thumbs in digikam
> will look "from outside" (in Gimp or with imagemagick or...)?

XCF support is provided by an image loader implemented in KDE Libs as Qt
extension.

There is no XCF image loader in digiKam code.

So, if something must be improved here, it's in KDE Libs, not digiKam

But, you need to take a look about KDE4 where a lots of code have been
re-implemented...

> I use digikam 0.9.3, as this is the most recent stable rpm for my OpenSuse
> 10.3. For the present I'd also like to stay with kde 3.5 because I cannot
> update my systems all the time ;-)

yes, but i recommend to take a look in KDE4 version. You can install a new
system based on KDE4 to a VirtualBox virtual machine for ex.

> I use this occasion to once again thank the developers for this superb
> working
> tool for my professional everyday use!

Thanks. It's always a please to read words from pro-photograph in this room.

I use this occasion too to said that a new Batch Queue Manager is under
construction on my computer. You will be able to process more than one batch
operations at the same time on items. Look this screenshot :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/3065212027/

Gilles Caulier