[Digikam-users] From F-Spot to digiKam....

Gerhard Kulzer gerhardkgmx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:43:20 BST 2008

On Thursday 14 August 2008 16:49:23 Marcin Kasperski wrote:
> > So I wonder why you can't read your F-spot metadata. Can you give it a
> > try and run exiv2 on the original images from F-spot?
> >
> > $ exiv2 -pi *.jpg (or whatever format your images have)
>
>   $ exiv2 -pi 100_2162.jpg
>
>   100_2162.jpg: No IPTC data found in the file
>
> For comparison
>
>   $ exiftool 100_2162.jpg
>
>   ... (cut a lot of output) ...
>   Subject       : Wierchomla, Marcin
>   ... (cut a lot of output) ...

Marcin, I think Gilles put the finger on the incompatibility:
F-spot uses XMP to store metadata (as you show above: no IPTC data), whereas
digikam 0.9 uses IPTC for it. Therefore there's is no direct metadata transfer
possible.
However the kde version of digikam 0.10b3 is fully compatible with XMP. So,
importing F-spot images into digikam 0.10b3 should be straight.

Gerhard