[Digikam-users] Customized Digikam Flickr uploader

depot @ xs4all. nl depot at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 17 18:32:21 BST 2008

I wrote a bash script that helps me to upload photos from Digikam to Flickr. The title and description of
each uploaded photo are automatically set and are pulled from the Digikam image comments. I found the
build-in Digikam Flickr uploader (provided by the KipiPlugins project) to be to limited in functionality. On
Flickr each photo has a title and a description. The Kipi Flickr uploader sets the filename of each image as
the title. Since all my photo files are stored with a unique date-serial name (e.g. 051202-3468.jpg), the
title in Flickr doesn't look nice after an upload.
My script sets the title to the first line of the comments that are kept with the photo in Digikam.
The description is set to the entire contents of the comments field. The first line in the comments field has
to be separated by a line-feed (return). If no comments are available no description is given and the title
is set to the filename. After each upload a log file is updated with the filenames and corresponding
Flickr-id's of the uploaded pictures. The script is just a wrapper. The actual uploading is done by the
'flickr_upload' script as provided by the Perl package Flickr::Upload.

If you are interested you can download the script on my weblog: http://jeroen.leijen.net

Best regards,

Jeroen