[Digikam-users] Suggestion for a Showfoto

"Sveinn í Felli (IMAP)" sveinki at nett.is
Thu Apr 10 20:02:35 BST 2008

Hi all;

Lawrence Plug wrote:

> Rather than have the tools selected from a dropdown menu, an alternative
> would be to have the tools within tabs stacked vertically, which then
> individually drop down to show their respective sliders etc when
> selected.  This is the way that rawtherapee, for example, organizes
> tools. I find it very convenient (I use rawtherapee for ORFs). The tools
> are stacked in the order that they would generally be used (WB and
> exposure at the top, noise reduction near the bottom), and more than one
> tool can be opened at a time.
>
> The advantage of this is that all the related tools are visible (visual
> cue to user), and because several can be open at one time, it is
> possible to see their settings even when not adjusting that particular
> tool. I find this useful. The commonly used tools i just leave open,
> others are nearly always closed.
>
> The tools would be grouped into broader categories of transform tools,
> filters etc.. exactly as shown in the mockup.
>

> ** screenshot of the rawtherapee layout, with white balance and
> sharpening tools open.
> http://ljplug.smugmug.com/photos/277201951_u8QY4-X2.jpg

Personally I like this approach - up to certain complexity.

My experience with 3D-Max (which has been using similar
tabbed-interface) is that once the number of tabs exceeds a
reasonable number it becomes a task of its own trying to
find that nice feature you want to apply. Yet more tabs, the
tabs have to be grouped, which would be fine if one could
customize which tabs go to which page.
And even if the tabs in 3D-Max unfold when clicked, most of
the time they don't fit on a laptop screen (you need real
screen estate to work with these).

Other approach, also quite unsuitable for laptops, is
Blender. But anyway who does 3D on a laptop?

Possibly these tabs could behave as windows if undocked
(w/drag'n'drop), then people would be able to decide whether
to spread their tools all over their multi-screen xinerama,
or to compact everything down on a smaller screen.

Just my centimes;

regards

Sveinn í Felli