[Digikam-users] Suggestion for a Showfoto

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Wed Apr 9 21:18:19 BST 2008

Dnia Wednesday 09 of April 2008, Marcel Wiesweg napisaƂ:
> Taking the main point (as it appears to me):
> Moving from separate dialogs to integrating the settings in the sidebar
> and the preview in the main area.
>
> This is an interesting idea, generally in KDE and other software there
> is a move away from modal dialogs towards non-modal solutions like the
> one suggested here. It is a valid point; the dialog is modal, so the
> window in the background cannot be used anyway. It would be interesting
> to hear the opinion of the people here on this list

I like the idea. It should simplify interaction with tools. But it
should be full implementation as in first mockup - all or nothing.

> Technically, such a change requires a larger amount of work. The main
> window need to be adapted, the base classes of the current image plugin
> dialogs need to be refitted into the new framework, and (at least with
> trivial changes) each image plugin need to be ported.

I remember about first introduction of digikamimage plugins in current
form that it was choice: have plugins now in that form or wait several
months for necessary for rewrite of Image Editor/showFoto. Consensus was
on "now", but maybe KDE4 migration is good time for such thing?

m.