[Digikam-users] Suggestion for a Showfoto

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Apr 9 18:11:11 BST 2008

> Hi! I have made mockups (2) of the Showfoto. This PDF is my suggestion for
> faster (=better) workflow when editing multiple photographs.
> Hopefully this would open some discussion about the Showfoto's GUI and
> questions about can it be polished even more? I think that digiKam already
> has great GUI and professional options for photo management, now it's
> editor needs polishing ;-)

Taking the main point (as it appears to me):
Moving from separate dialogs to integrating the settings in the sidebar and
the preview in the main area.

This is an interesting idea, generally in KDE and other software there is a
move away from modal dialogs towards non-modal solutions like the one
suggested here. It is a valid point; the dialog is modal, so the window in
the background cannot be used anyway. It would be interesting to hear the
opinion of the people here on this list, as well as the opinion of a
usability expert.

Technically, such a change requires a larger amount of work. The main window
need to be adapted, the base classes of the current image plugin dialogs need
to be refitted into the new framework, and (at least with trivial changes)
each image plugin need to be ported.