[Digikam-users] Jpeg export changes image

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Fri Oct 19 22:06:04 BST 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007 13:15:10 Arnd Baecker wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> [...]
>
> > It is now fairly
> > simple to create high quality camera and scanner profiles with minimal
> > cost using open source software.  All you need is a good profiling
> > target.
>
> So with this  (together with the software) you generate
> an ICC profile (*), specific to your camera, right?

Not just specific to your camera but to your camera AND processing workflow
including the software used in that workflow.   In fact it is not uncommon
for people to create lighting specific profiles (IE. different profiles for
specific lighting conditions) and on occasion I will make custom shoot
specific profiles if the lighting conditions appear to be unusual at the
location where I am shooting.

> Out of curiosity:
> According to your experience, how much different are these
> from those profiles found on the internet?

What profiles would these be?  Remember that input and output device profiles
are very specific to the device (not just the device model) and the workflow
used with the device.  I don't know of anyplace on the net where I can find
profiles that are specifically for my devices and workflows.

For example where on the net would I find a profile for Nikon D70 images that
are processed through UFRAW using a gamma of 0.45 and a linearity of 0.10?
What about if I wanted to use different settings is UFRAW such as a gamma of
1.0 (IE. linear image)?   What if the workflow including shooting in unusual
lighting conditions? ....

You might be able to find profiles that are specific to other workflows such
as the profiles from Nikon that are specific to the Nikon RAW software on the
net.  But those profiles will not be correct for my workflow and probably not
yours either.