[Digikam-users] Some questions about the ImageEditor

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sun Nov 25 21:17:36 GMT 2007

Hi Chris

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Chris G wrote:

> First question (whose answer may clear up a lot of the subsequent
> ones), is there no help?
>
> When I click on help or use the links from the main Digikam manual I
> get:-
>     There is no documentation available for /digikamimageplugins/index.htm
>
> This is on a standard digikam 0.9.2-final installation on Fedora 7.

So this is provided by Fedora, and not self-installed?
Then I have no idea why it is not there, and
it should have been provided  in the default installation.

But you can access the really good documentation online via the link at
  http://www.digikam.org/?q=docs
(as always comments/suggestions/additions are welcome)

> Anyway, to a question and a comment:-
>
>     I'm confused by the two ! icons which appear in various places.
>     They're in the view menu marked as "Under Exposure Indicator" and
>     "Over Exposure Indicator", what do they do?  Do the same icons do
>     the same thing in the other places where they appear.

Yes. If not this should be corrected.

Images may show over-exposed (i.e. just white) or
under-exposed (just black) regions.
This should at best be avoided when taking the picture.
In addition, one may create over-/under exposed regions
when applying image manipulations.
(Presumably the best is to try it out in the curves editing
by fiddling around with the curve to lead to over-exposed/under-exposed
regions ...)

>     What confused me a lot in the View menu is that many (all?) of the
>     commands are toggles, so "Fit to Window" for example does the
>     opposite of "Fit to Window" the first time you click on it!

hmm, sounds like a useability issue. Will have a look tomorrow.
Please, continue to report issues like this,
because after a while one gets just "blind" to such obstacles...

> I suspect that for the rest I will begin to get more familiar with
> digikam, it's certainly 'smoother' than when I last tried it a couple
> of years ago and it's beaten Picasa for me this time.

Good to hear that, still comments/suggestions are very welcome!

Best, Arnd