[Digikam-users] Comments in png files

Paweł Marciniak pave at o2.pl
Mon Nov 12 20:18:31 GMT 2007

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> (saving png as jpg in image editor).
>

> This is already fixed since 0.9.1. Try to save a jpeg file from a png file
> with editor...

OK, I think you missed part of my previous post:

8<------------------------------------------
> I have already fixed the problem in digiKam core, Exiv2 but not yet in
> kipi-plugins. Of course i will do it.
>
> Note : it's originally a problem of imagemagick wich trunk whole iptc if
> size is over 64 kb during PNG=>JPEG (or TIFF=>JPEG)
>
> Please make a file in bugzilla, in kipi-plugins/BatchProcess component.

I filed it. But IMHO digiKam core doesn't perform as expected either. When I
tried to convert png->jpeg by "save as..." in image editor, I got:
Cannot save metadata using Exiv2  (Size of IPTC JPEG segment is larger than
65535 bytes)
on the console, what means that it in fact recognized the problem, but the
result is that the resulting image is stripped from BOTH iptc and exif
metadata. I think a better way of handling this would be to strip just the
iptc section (exactly what I did with IM's convert). Is this a bug then?