[Digikam-users] Future direction of digikam?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:19:47 GMT 2007

2007/11/12, Ravi Swamy <rkswamy at mindspring.com>:

> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> > I don't use windows at all, but donations to the digikam
> > project are surely welcome.
>
> I will send you a private email about donations.
>

> >> Would you be willing to use it, watch these tutorials:
> >>
> >> http://www.whibalhost.com/_Tutorials/Photoshop_LR/08/index.html
> >
> > These tutorials are already worth watching even without
> > having the software - thanks for the pointer!
> >
> >> and then ask questions to users here about how they use a feature or
> >> why a feature is important so you can understand how to implement an
> even
> >> better version in digikam?  Clone was a poor choice of worlds but I
> think
> >> Lightroom is a good model that can be improved upon.
> >
> > Fully agree! However, I think it does not really work
> > to just shortly try a software, without properly using it over a longer
> > period, and therefore suggestions by users like you with
> > experience of other software are of particular importance.
> >
> > So what are your suggestions for a workflow with digikam?
>
> The edit program seems too separate.  I don't know if it really is
> separate
> or shared memory or whatever.  In library mode the right side tabs like
> EXIF
> data, tags, etc are useful but in edit mode I'd prefer an option to have
> white balance, levels, curves, as separate sub windows on the right side.
>
> Lightroom/Aperture/Picasa store the image modifications as commands.
> I think digikam processes the image serially.  Example of editing an
> image:
>
> 1) adjust white balance, click OK
> 2) data adjusted in memory
> 3) adjust curves, click OK
> 4) data adjusted in memory
> 5) readjust white balance
>
> I'm assuming that in digikam step 5 uses the data as it was in step 4?
> Every edit step decreases the quality of the data.  You can avoid this by
> undoing steps, then reapply the white balance correctly but that can slow
> you down.

I have planed to make a new tool named RAWImport including Color Management
+ White Balance options (including gamma adjustements). This will reduce
serialization operations to import RAW files in editor.

But at this moment, i'm buzy right with KDE4 port of digiKam + kipi-plugins.
I hope to do it for digiKam 0.9.4

Gilles