[Digikam-users] Comments in png files

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 06:41:55 GMT 2007

2007/11/3, Paweł Marciniak <pave at o2.pl>:

> Hi there,
>
> After Gilles' post (around June) recommending storing images in png
> format,
> I switched to it entirely. I collected my photos, added captions etc. Now
> want to upload them to a web gallery, which only accepts jpegs. However,
> after a batch conversion to jpeg, some of the photos lost their metadata
> completely. During the conversion, a dialog is shown for each photo,
> saying "Cannot run properly 'convert' program from 'ImageMagick' package"
> and the console displays:
> digikam: WARNING: Convert exit (0)
>
> When investigating this issue I found out that when I add a caption in
> digiKam, it doesn't throw any error, but the console says:
> Cannot save metadata using Exiv2  (Setting Image comment in PNG images is
> not supported).

Exiv2 do not support yet PNG metadata for writting. Patch still uncomplete
on my computer.

The added caption is shown by digiKam, but maybe it is
> stored only in digiKam database?

yes, Caption, date, rating, and tags are store in digiKam database.

When converting manually with convert, no error is raised, but when I try to
> view the converted image in digiKam, no metadata is shown at all.

Exif and iptc ??? Impossible (:=))). All my photo collection are in PNG
(taken originally from JPEG or RAW), and metadata still present of course.

Witch camera you use ? Can you send me a JPEG file taken with your camera to
test. How are you converted your JPEG files to PNG ? Using Camera interface
during download ?

I'm using digiKam 0.9.3-beta1 with Exiv2 0.14 and KExiv2 0.1.6.

> Does anyone have an idea on how I can convert hundreds my photos to jpeg
> and
> preserve all the metadata and captions I spent so much time adding?

convert from imagemagick is the better way. I simple script with a loop to
process all current files is enough.

But it sound like a problem in your imagemagick... Witch version you use ?