[Digikam-users] Comments in png files

Paweł Marciniak pave at o2.pl
Sat Nov 3 14:20:01 GMT 2007

Hi there,

After Gilles' post (around June) recommending storing images in png format,
I switched to it entirely. I collected my photos, added captions etc. Now I
want to upload them to a web gallery, which only accepts jpegs. However,
after a batch conversion to jpeg, some of the photos lost their metadata
completely. During the conversion, a dialog is shown for each photo,
saying "Cannot run properly 'convert' program from 'ImageMagick' package"
and the console displays:
digikam: WARNING: Convert exit (0)

When investigating this issue I found out that when I add a caption in
digiKam, it doesn't throw any error, but the console says:
Cannot save metadata using Exiv2  (Setting Image comment in PNG images is
not supported). The added caption is shown by digiKam, but maybe it is
stored only in digiKam database?

When converting manually with convert, no error is raised, but when I try to
view the converted image in digiKam, no metadata is shown at all.

I'm using digiKam 0.9.3-beta1 with Exiv2 0.14 and KExiv2 0.1.6.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can convert hundreds my photos to jpeg and
preserve all the metadata and captions I spent so much time adding?

Thanks in advance,
Paweł