[Digikam-users] using EXIF data to display portrait files properly

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue May 22 07:03:55 BST 2007

2007/5/22, Michael Colalillo <michael.colalillo at alumni.lehigh.edu>:

> Hi. I'm hoping I'm not imposing by asking a question that may have been
> previously addressed.  I'm new to this mailing list.
>
> Recently, I updated my ubuntu installation from Breezy to Dapper, which
> updated my digikam from 0.7.2 to 0.8.2.  Now, suddenly, the display of
> portrait files is not working properly.  The portrait oriented pictures are
> sideways in both the folder view, and when I view each picture individually.
>
> I do have Settings, Configure Digikam, Embedded Info, "Rotate images and
> thumbnails according to EXIF tag" checked.  (It defaulted that way.)
>
> The images do appear to have the proper EXIF data embedded in them.  I can
> read it, and the Nautilus browser, and Eye of Gnome views them properly
> (adjusting them per EXIF data).
>
> The images come from a Canon Powershot SD450.
>
> For a solution, I'm tempted to either go back to 0.7.2, or up to 0.9.x.
> Is this a good first step?  Any other suggestions?

0.8.x series use libexif to handle Exif orientation tags from pictures. This
library is not properlly maintened.

0.9.x serie do not use libexif but Exiv2 library instead witch provide a
better support of camera file format. Exiv2 is an active project..

In all case, digiKam 0.7x and 0.8.x are not maintened. Since december 2006
0.9.0 release is out and april 2007 0.9.. 0.9.2 is in the way first beta1
released and we plan to release 0.9.2 final during June.

If you test 0.9.x serie, you will a huge list of improvements and bug fix.
Certainly many users in this room will second me to hear than it's better
for you to update to 0.9.1 instead to back to 0.7.x (:=)))

Regards

Gilles Caulier

Thanks...