[Digikam-users] colour profile trouble with Raw

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:28:33 GMT 2007

2007/3/6, Sebastian Kraft <sebastian_kraft at gmx.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I have some problems getting 16bit raw editing running.
> As I read I have to setup colour management to edit RAW files with 16bit.
> I took the SRGB profile from bibblelite and set it as my working profile.
> As input profile I tried several profiles but colors are very bad.
> Unfortunately it seems that there exists no official profile for Penatx
> istDL2. What can I do to get the advantages of 16bit editing with digikam?
>
> When I open the raw file in 8bit mode things like adjusting tone curves are
> done with 8 bit, right?

sure. and in 16 bits with 16 bits color depth.

> so I don't get the advantage of more different tone
> values when I open with 8 bit mode?

Look into the histogram and apply a contrast correction in 8 bits and
in 16 bits. Look like the histogram include holes and not the 16 bits
!!!

You can seen a lot of comparisons in the web against RAW (in 12 bits
in fact actually) and JPEG (always in 8 bits) :

http://www.popphoto.com/howto/2196/jpeg-vs-raw-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-explained.html

In 16 bits color depth, you need to use color management to import
properly the RAW image using the right ICC camera color profile,
because the image is imported in Linear mode by dcraw. There are a lot
of discussions into the ML about this subject. Look into the
archive...