[Digikam-users] Using external media with digikam

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Sun Mar 4 09:16:57 GMT 2007

Am Sunday 04 March 2007 schrieb jdd:
> Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> > Am Sunday 04 March 2007 schrieb morenews4me at gmx.net:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have an external harddrive, which contains a folder with a lot of
> >> photographs. I would like to see this collection in Digikam on my
> >> computer, however I want to be able to also see my current collection.
> >> Is this possible and how? BTW downloading the external drive to my
> >> harddisc is not an option because there is far too little on the
> >> internal harddisc. Oh, and I run Digikam 0.9.0 (until Gentoo has
> >> something new in Portage).
>
> AFAIK, you can only _import_ your images in the actual digikam. I
> don't know if this mean a raw copy of the images themselves or only
> inclusion of them in the database.
>
> However, this is not handy for a removable media, as said, the
> database will be confused.
>
> It would be a reaaly great thing to have the data base written at some
> place near the photos (we could, for example, have the database file
> on a folder and all the albums on the subfolders) and have digikam
> access only the given database.

But that is the case today, the database is in the root library folder.
So if you don't want to mix removable drives with fixed directories, you can
do that. All it needs is switching around by changing the Album library path
in the setup page. First time it takes a while to scan the new location and
create the database. The second time it goes very fast. This way you can
switch between different locations within seconds. The remote drive will be
managed as a separate entity.

P.S. Crazy thing is, i switched to my music folder and digikam became a player
instantly, all pieces ordered in time.

--
Hakuna matata
http://www.gerhard.fr