[Digikam-users] bugs and wishes review

Jakob Østergaard joe at evalesco.com
Tue Jun 5 21:11:16 BST 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007 09:35:05 Arnd Baecker wrote:
> Gilles and Jakob,
>
> maybe I was wrong with my statement that
> this is not a digikam issue...
>
> Jakub, just to try to clarify the confusion which I may have created:
> - For the step
>   svn co  svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/extragear/kde3/libs/
>   cd libs
>   make -f Makefile.cvs
>   ./configure --prefix=$DIGIKAMDEST
> --with-extra-includes=$DIGIKAMDEST/include --w
> ith-extra-libs=$DIGIKAMDEST/lib
>
>   What is the output at the end of configure?

Everything is OK:
---------8<-----------8<------------------8<------------------8<-------
-- Kipi-Plugins configure results -------------------
-- gphoto2 found.................. YES
-- libkipi found.................. YES
-- libkexiv2 library found........ YES
-- libkdcraw library found........ YES
-- libtiff found.................. YES
-- libkcal found.................. YES
-- imlib2 found................... YES
-- OpenGL found................... YES
-- libxslt found.................. YES
-- libgpod found.................. YES

-- libkdcraw configure results -------------------
-- lcms found..................... YES

-- libkexiv2 configure results -------------------
-- Exiv2 library found............ YES

Good - your configure finished. Start make now
---------8<-----------8<------------------8<------------------8<-------

> - What is the output of the corresponding configure step for digikam?
>   svn co -N
> svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/extragear/kde3/graphics/ cd
> graphics
>   svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kde-common/admin
>
>   make -f Makefile.cvs
>   ./configure -prefix=$DIGIKAMDEST
> --with-extra-includes=$DIGIKAMDEST/include --wi
> th-extra-libs=$DIGIKAMDEST/lib

---------8<-----------8<------------------8<------------------8<-------
-- digiKam configure results -------------------
-- libsqlite3 library found....... YES
-- libgphoto2 library found....... YES
-- libkipi library found.......... YES
-- libtiff library found..... .... YES
-- libpng library found........... YES
-- libjasper library found........ YES
-- liblcms library found.......... YES
-- libkexiv2 library found........ NO

digiKam needs libkexiv2 library >= 0.1.4 You need to install libkexiv2 first
libkexiv2 website is at http://www.kipi-plugins.org

-- libkdcraw library found........ YES
---------8<-----------8<------------------8<------------------8<-------

The problem with pkg-config being used to determine library versions while the
tool does not respect the LD_LIBRARY_PATH can easily be seen:

joe at lenin$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/joe/local/lib/pkgconfig/:/usr/lib/pkgconfig/
pkg-config --modversion libkexiv2
0.1.6
joe at lenin$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig/:/home/joe/local/lib/pkgconfig/
pkg-config --modversion libkexiv2
0.1.1

Since the makefiles (automake macro files) use a PKG_CONFIG_PATH where the
system libraries come first, pkg-config will claim my libkexiv2 is too old,
even if I set the linker path to prefer the new library to the old.

In short; pkg-config is being used for something it cannot do.

> Independent of this, did you succeed  last night?

Well, no, I slept - sorry  ;)

Tonight, however, I managed to spend a little quality time with the laptop. I
ran into a compilation problem though; looks like a missing commit
(dmetadata.h, DMetaData::MetaDataMap missing).

But the configure now works; thanks to your python magic (I changed it to perl
because that was shorter and gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it
should be functionally equivalent to what you posted here):

perl -pi -e 's/PKG_CONFIG_PATH="\$prefix\/lib\${kdelibsuff}\/pkgconfig:
\$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"/PKG_CONFIG_PATH=\$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:"\$prefix\/lib\${kdelibsuff}\/pkgconfig"/'
configure

perl -pi -e 's/PKG_CONFIG_PATH="\$kde_libs_prefix\/lib\${kdelibsuff}\/pkgconfig:
\$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"/PKG_CONFIG_PATH="\$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:
\$kde_libs_prefix\/lib\${kdelibsuff}\/pkgconfig"/' configure

--
Jakob Østergaard