[Digikam-users] bugs and wishes review

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Mon Jun 4 14:09:52 BST 2007

Hi Jakob,

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

> Arnd Baecker wrote:
> > Dear digikam users and bug/wish reporters,
>
> In the light of all this...
>
> I currently run Kubuntu and have DigiKam 0.9.1 from the distribution. I
> would very much like to run the newer SVN version, but that's when
> things get tricky;
>
> I have not been able to compile DigiKam from SVN for installation in
> ~/local/ while keeping the system-default DigiKam (and more importantly
> libkexiv and friends) in /usr.
>
> Compiling and installing the libraries works fine. The problem is; the
> DigiKam configure script relies on pkg-config to determine if the
> libkexiv2 version is sufficiently recent - in my setup, pkg-config looks
> at the wrong libkexiv2 and therefore falsely claims that my libkexiv2 is
> too old, and in turn configure won't generate Makefiles for DigiKam. I
> have compiled and installed libkexiv2 from SVN in ~/local/, but I also
> have a much older libkexiv2 in /usr/.
>
> It is simple to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. so that the right libkexiv2
> *would* be used by the linker - however, pkg-config does not respect the
> library path when it tries to determine the version of the library - so
> while the right LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set for ld, pkg-config ignores that
> and reports the older /usr/ installed library version instead of the
> ~/local/ installed library that *would* have been used by ld.
>
> So, for me, ./configure in the DigiKam directory fails because
> pkg-config does not respect the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Does anyone use the SVN versions of DigiKam and *not* install in /usr? I
> would really like to install DigiKam and libs in my home directory not
> in /usr - and I would like not to have to remove libkexiv2 and friends
> from /usr just to compile DigiKam for ~/local/.
>
> Is this possible?  Or does everyone just overwrite libs under /usr ?

I always install to a separate place,
following the instructions under
"Install digiKam in your Home Directory"
http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/svn

And, yes there is a problem when an old exiv2 (etc.) lies around,
see this message:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-imaging/2007-May/005106.html
I have no idea if there are any plans to do anything on this.

Also, this is a kde-imaging issue (not digikam ;-).
Maybe you could file a bug report there?

A temporary solution I use for myself is a small script which
modifies the configure script for kde-imaging, see below
(did not quite work last time, I had to change a few
ones like this manually, but you will get the idea).

HTH, Arnd

################
"""

Hack to convince configure to find exiv2 stuff in a separate place,
specified by PKG_CONFIG_PATH

/tmp/NEWTRYSVNALL/libs
mv configure configure_orig
python ~/Digikam/Scripts/replace_makefile_mist.py > configure

"""

import os

von='PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$prefix/lib${kdelibsuff}/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"'
nach='PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:"$prefix/lib${kdelibsuff}/pkgconfig"'

von_='PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$kde_libs_prefix/lib${kdelibsuff}/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_P
ATH"'
nach_='PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:$kde_libs_prefix/lib${kdelibsuff}/pkgco
nfig"'

for line in open("configure_orig"):
    if "PKG_CONFIG_PATH" in line:
        line_ = line.replace(von, nach),