[Digikam-users] how to get tags from one album to another?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Sat Jul 21 12:47:16 BST 2007

On Freitag, 20. Juli 2007, Arnd Baecker wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> > I work(ed) with digikam 0.9.2 and with svn-version. Each version has its
> > own album path and db.
> >
> > Now I'd like to move all photos from 0.9.2 to the svn folder, but
> > *without loosing all my tags*.
> >
> > How can I do that?
> > Is there a tool/script/something that could help me move the pictures
> > together with their tags?
>
> Not that I know of.
> But it should be possible in the following way:
> a) copy all images from 0.9.2 folder to the svn-folder
>    (digikam is assumed to be not running). Use `cp -rp`
>    to preserve rights etc.
> b) start svn digikam so that all images get integrated into the database.
>    leave digikam
> c) Now the hard part is to write a script which
>    for each of the new images
>    - finds the database entries which are associated with it
>      in the 0.9.2 database
>    - adds those entries to the svn database
> d) start svn digikam and all should be fine ;-)
>
> Maybe cdigi
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=15103
> could be used to extract the data?
>
> I know, this is not a simple out of the box solution as
> it requires to write the script. Morever, I have
> to admit, that so far I have only used the database
> to read properties, but never used it to add new stuff ...
>
> Best, Arnd

Hi Arnd,

Thanks for your answer. It's no problem to extract the data (I use this quite
often: I need to use my own mySQL database for the management of my photos -
because it seems nobody is interested in talking about a professional tagging
plugin... ;-(  ).

But the problem is to *insert* data. I tried, but with no success.

I extracted all data from Tags and TagsTree from "old version", changed all
the numbers (added highest value of id in "new" to each id/pid in "old", so
that there are not two identical ids), then added the overworked data from
old tables to the new tables.

It all looks fine, but digikam doesn't show the inserted tags. It just ignores
them and I don't know why???

When I add a new tag in digikam it gets the next id-number correctly. This new
tag appears, I can use it, even after closing and reopening digiKam. But
those tags "in between" that I have inserted directly into the tables just
don't appear.

Any hints?

regards

Daniel