[Digikam-users] Importing F-Spot tags to DigiKam

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Wed Jan 17 13:03:02 GMT 2007

Le mardi 16 janvier 2007 17:32, Dotan Cohen a écrit :
> I'm seriously considering converting to DigiKam 0.9.0 from the
> wonderful F-Spot. It is paramount that my 500+ tags on 8000+ images be
> imported from F-Spot. The tags are currently stored in XMP format in
> the photos themselves, and in the F-Spot sqlite database. What must I
> do to import the tags? The heiarchy is not so important, as I can
> reproduce that fairly easily. Thanks in advance.

Well, digiKAm do not support yet XMP. All pictures metadata are supported by
digiKam core using Exiv2 library. This library need to be updated for that.
There is a wish in Exiv2 bugzilla about this subject :

http://dev.robotbattle.com/bugs/view.php?id=463

Personally, i think than XMP _must_ be supported by Exiv2 and digiKam. It very
important.

Actually digiKam/Exiv2 support IPTC/IIM metadata, witch are the old IPTC
schema. XMP is the new IPTC schema designed by Adobe...

If you want to import your XMP info to digiKam, a solution is to write a
little script witch use ExifTool to copy XMP informations to IPTC/IIM in you
pictures.

When you will start the first digiKam instance with your pictures, IPTC
metadata will be parsed and the right digiKAm tags will be automaticly add to
digiKam database.

Regards