[Digikam-users] New computer for Digikam

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 00:26:26 GMT 2007

I am considering replacing an aging desktop computer. The machine is
used mostly for Digikam, Amarok, and Kopete. Only occasionally are
other apps, such as K3B, Firefox, Skype, and Open Office ever used.
Therefore, I want a system that is tuned best for Digikam.

Should my resources be devoted to more memory, faster disks, faster
processor, more processor cores, graphics hardware, or something else?
A local computer store has Intel/Asus machines at prices that I can
afford. Is there a significant difference between these processors:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 (1600 MHz)
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 (1800 MHz)
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 (2000 MHz)
They all have 1MB cache. I see that I can pay a bit more to upgrade to
a Pentium D 925 with 4 MB cache. I thought that the  Pentium D was a
single core processer and therefore inferior to the Pentium Dual Core.
Am I mistaken? Can someone educate me please?

Additionally, I can pay ~$3USD to have the 1GB DDR II 667 generic RAM
upgraded to Kingston. I can pay another ~$10USD to have it upgraded to
OCZ Gold with a cooling rib. Are these worthwhile upgrades?

Is a 128MB nVidia graphics card enough for Digikam? I'd imagine so,
but if it could bottleneck that I'd rather know now.

Are 7200 RPM SATA disks worth an investment? I already have a brand
new 500GB IDE Western Digital drive in the old computer. As the new
computer will come with a SATA drive anyway, should I store the photos
on the SATA, or should I store the OS on the SATA drive? I can get a
7200 RPM drive, will that make a real difference?

Anything special that I should know about the motherboard? I know that
I will need IDE controllers for my DVD burner and the 500GB WD drive.
Can I put the burner (rarely used, and never while Digikam is open) on
the same IDE controller as the hard drive?

Thanks for all the assistance and please excuse the long list of
borderline offtopic questions. The married folk on the list will
surely understand how important it is that a machine used mostly by
the wife will be as stable and high performance as possible, and the
right hardware is essential to that goal. As this is a system made
mostly for Digikam usage, I ask here on the Digikam list.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.