[Digikam-users] Digikam slow

Jakob Østergaard Hegelund joe at evalesco.com
Tue Dec 4 16:47:53 GMT 2007

On Friday 30 November 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> The system: Ubuntu Feisty on AMD Duron 1.3 GHz, 1GB RAM, KDE 3.5.6,
> Digikm 0.9.2, 13,100 pictures in Digikam library which is on it's own
> disk partition. KDE thumbnails cache opened up to 100MB.
>
> The problem: Digikam is so slow that it is nearly unusable. When we
> open a folder/album in digikam we must wait 8 seconds before we see
> thumbnails. Then, they trickle in at 0.87 sec per thumbnail (200
> thumbnails in two minutes, 54 seconds on the clock). When a photo is
> deleted, we wait 8 seconds before there is any UI reaction.

The good news is that you wait so long, so that it is possible
to "meter" this with very simple external programs.

Please start up a konsole with 'vmstat 1' running.

Then, open a folder/album (expected 8 second wait).

Please send the 8 lines of output from 'vmstat 1' that appeared during
that 8 second wait. This will tell us if you're waiting on disk or CPU
or something else.

Ok, now stop the 'vmstat 1' and type 'top' instead. Here we have a list
of processes, sorted by their current CPU time consumption.

Now, open a new folder/album (expected 8 second wait once again).

Wait for 2 (two) updates in the 'top' konsole. Once the second update
occur, copy the entire konsole contents. Please send this too.

This will tell us, if CPU is what we're waiting for, exactly which
process is causing the wait.

Last but not least, you said everything else was slow on this machine as
well...  This indicates a fundamental problem - digikam may be hit
harder than other applications because it actually works on a lot of
data. Could you send the output of /proc/cpuinfo, /proc/interrupts
and /proc/mtrr ?

--
Jakob Østergaard Hegelund