[Digikam-users] How to remove IPTC tags.

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Tue Dec 4 06:47:20 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Paristo wrote:

> I get help from here to use exiv2 -d command for remove iptc tags what
> might be reason why digikam dont start on me and "crash" to "reading
> database" part while SVN --debug compile dont give reason because it
> works then but is slower.
>
> Help file gives for exiv2 option '-d ic' to remove IPTC tags and Exif comments.
>
> I have taken copies of all my pictures and i have few hundreds albums
> and i just noticed that exiv2 command dont support wildcards. Or
> actually it support but it dont understand difference between file and
> directory.
>
> I have all my pictures on /media/lacie1/pictures directory what is
> USB2.0 harddrive.
> on ../pictures/ i have these few hundreds subdirectories where every
> album just have pictures like:
>
> ../pictures/07-11-31 something informative what album have
> ../pictures/07-11-15 something other informative what album have
> ../pictures/06-05-14 information for album
> and so on...
> I dont have any subdirectories on every "album" like:
> ../pictures/06-05-14 information for album/RAW
> ../pictures/06-05-14 information for album/JPEG
>
> I want to remove IPTC and Exif comments from copy files (on other drive now)
> But when i try exiv2 -d ic /media/lacie1/pictures/*/*.jpg it gives
> error that too big listing.
> exiv2 -d ic /media/lacie1/pictures/* gives error what gives list of
> directories and error that those couldn't be opened for edit.
>
> Is there way to have exiv2 command go trought all albums without
> needed to do it by hand. I have just renamed all albums again and it
> took few days and i would not like to do this again in konsole to
> order same command to every directory and fight with spaces what is on
> their names.

All this sounds as if you are trying to do that on your "real" images?
Hopefully you have a backup, because if you do anything wrong here,
you could destroy all your images!
(in particular, you are going to wipe all the exif
information, including date, shutter speed, aperture etc. etc.!)

Because of this, I would recommend to test this out
with a limited set of images and try to isolate the problem
so that there is a chance to find out the real source of the problem.

Best, Arnd

P.S.: I know that I did not answer your question,
this was on purpose ;-).
You could use find, together with exec, see eg.
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-newbie/105360-recursive-bash-rename-script.html
For more complicated loops:
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/loops1.html

(Warning repeated: if you do something wrong here,
you might ruin your images ...)