[Digikam-users] Digikam slow

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Sat Dec 1 13:42:08 GMT 2007

Hi Dotan,

sorry, no real ideas, but some remarks ...

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> The system: Ubuntu Feisty on AMD Duron 1.3 GHz, 1GB RAM, KDE 3.5.6,
> Digikm 0.9.2, 13,100 pictures in Digikam library which is on it's own
> disk partition. KDE thumbnails cache opened up to 100MB.
>
> The problem: Digikam is so slow that it is nearly unusable. When we
> open a folder/album in digikam we must wait 8 seconds before we see
> thumbnails. Then, they trickle in at 0.87 sec per thumbnail (200
> thumbnails in two minutes, 54 seconds on the clock). When a photo is
> deleted, we wait 8 seconds before there is any UI reaction.

What does `top` give? Is there any indication the the
system is already swapping?

> All apps run sluggish on this machine, but Digikam is really bad. What
> can I do to tweak it a bit? I may be an old timer, but in my opinion a
> 1300 MHz processor (with 1024MB RAM) should not be this bad.

I agree it should work, not super-fast, but at least at
a reasonable speed. I could try to activate my "old" PIII, 1200 GHz
with 512 MB, to see the speed there. However,
this will require an OS update, so because of too much other
stuff I don't see that I will manage that during the next two weeks.

Does anyone else here have a similar machine and could
report some timings?

Best, Arnd