[Digikam-users] usage scenario - is this possible?

Guillaume Castagnino casta at xwing.info
Sat Aug 4 16:10:05 BST 2007

Le samedi 4 août 2007, Tino Keitel a écrit :
> Hi folks,

Hi !

> [...]
> How can I manage the "raw" collection with the directory structure
> mentioned in 1. and the albums mentioned in 3.? Should I move the
> raw collection to the album directory, and handle 2 forks of the
> galliry (e.g. "raw" and "sorted") in digikam?

In such a situation, I personnaly would manage the directory structure
with the "Albums" concept of digiKam, which exactly corresponds to the
physical structure on the hard drive

But for the 3. I would not duplicate the pictures !
You have the "Tags" feature ("Stichworte" in German digiKam
translation). It let you assignate one or more Tags to each picture of
your collection (using the fourth right tab). So you can create a tag
for each gallery you want.
Then you can use the third left tab to retrieve all pictures that share
the same tag.
In fact it acts something like doing symlinks but with a far better
ability to resolve reverse references.

But this will not let you do a simple rsync to your website : I cannot
see an "export" function to export the list of pictures for example...

My 2 cents,
Guillaume

--
Guillaume Castagnino
    guilc at laposte.net / casta at xwing.info
GnuPG/PGP key :
http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x8AF468AF
Fingerprint : CD52 FE40 9592 BA1E E89D 5FB6 820E 4742 8AF4 68AF