[Digikam-users] Howto move Albums from one PC to another?

Wojciech Jarosz wjarosz at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 1 17:07:30 BST 2007

On 8/1/07, Gerhard Kulzer <gerhard at kulzer.net> wrote:
> Am Tuesday 31 July 2007 schrieb Volker Guelke:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I'm currently using two computers (one laptop, one desktop) both running
> > digiKam. The laptop is used for the initial import and viewing of new
> > photos if I'm away from home. The desktop is my datastorage and working
> > environment.
> >

> > During my last holidays I found the time to enter a lot of tags on my
> > photos inside the laptop digiKam installation. Now I'm back home and
> > want to migrate the new albums to my desktop-computer and of course, I
> > want to keep the tags on the pictures.
> >

> > Now my questions:
> >
> > Is there a way to migrate tags together with the album from on PC to
> > another?
> >
> > Is there a kind of "whitepaper" on using digiKam in a multi-pc or
> > multiuser environment to bypass the problems which are potentially
> > located in such "non-standard" environments?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Volker
>
> Hi Volker,
> this is to answer (partly) the two mails of you:
>
> digiKam can be set-up (settings->configure digiKam->metadata) so as to write
> all authoring data, comments and tags into the IPTC fields of the every image
> file. If you do that you can actually move the files outside digiKam and
> recover the metadata (provided they've not been overwritten by another
> program) when re-integrating them into the digikam library path.

Hi Gerhard,
Is this true even of RAW files? I've noticed that when I try to check
the metadata of a CR2 file (Image->Metadata->Edit EXIF or
Image->Metadata->Edit IPTC) all the fields are grayed-out. Does this
mean that any added metadata to RAW files is only stored in the
digikam database, and not written to the files themselves?

Thanks,
-wojciech