[Digikam-users] Getting rid of button bars

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 22:22:04 BST 2007

On 09/04/07, Paul Waldo <pwaldo at waldoware.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > [snip]
> > There is no reason to shot portrait images with a digital camera for
> > use on the screen. Unless, of course, one turns his monitor 90 degrees
> > as well as the camera. Portrait images are an artifact of film
> > photography that is still used only by those accustomed to film
> > photography. There is a reason that digital cameras shot a 4:3 aspect
> > ratio: it is the dimensions of a standard computer monitor.
> [snip]
>

> No offense, Dotan, but could you explain your reasoning for this
> statement?  I shoot many portrait-format images and I would love to how
> to get around holding the camera in the less-natural orientation...
>
> Paul

The aspect ratio of a photograph taken by most digital cameras is 4:3,
this is not coincidentally the aspect ratio of most common computer
monitors. By shooting a photograph with a 3:4 aspect ration (ie,
holding the camera sideways) your photo will not take advantage of all
the available screen space. Unless you rotate your screen as well.

Paper photos are easily rotated to match the photo format (4:3 or
3:4). Digital photos on a computer monitor are not. Simply hitting the
'rotate' button in Digikam does not cut it: your photo is being shrunk
on the screen to fit the unusual dimensions.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/adsl.html
http://essentialinux.com/linux-software.php