[Digikam-users] DigiKam and ACL

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 13:43:49 BST 2006

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> On Thursday 26 October 2006 13:11, Fabien wrote:
>
>>>But it looks like DigiKam is overruling the default ACL from imported
>>>pictures by removing any writeaccess for all except the owner.
>>
>>I did some tests and it looks fine.
>>New albums inherit extended rights and added files have the correct
>>permissions...
 > [...]
>
> I dropped ACL. The solution I'm using instead i changing the umask of the
> system (002 I think). Creating a group for all who need to share the album,
> set this group as owner of the album and then setting the group-permission to
> rw for the album. Any newly created sub-albums will then inherit the same
> permission.

Ok, I see. It's a more simple solution (the one I'm also using right
now). The main drawback I see is that you depend on the configuration of
each user (ie umask configuration), or you must change the global umask
setting which could be annoying for some people...

> This works (almost) importing pictures from a camera everything is fine. But
> when I import from a directory or cd-rom write-permission is "removed"
> (actually, it just inherit the permissions of the original file).

My digital kamera is not recognized as mass-storage, this is why I don't
have any problem I think. I will make some tests with import from CDs or
folder to check that...

> There is a thread on the kubuntu mailing-list starting on october 1st with
> more details.

For other interested people, it's here :
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2006-October/009373.html

--
Fabien