[Digikam-users] "Install digiKam in your Home Directory" WORKED :-)

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Tue Nov 14 20:11:57 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 18:30, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Le Mardi 14 Novembre 2006 17:06, Daniel Bauer a écrit :
> > Hi, (sorry for braking the thread. I received only part of the emails
> > from the list yet and found your answer in the online archive...)
> >
> > Fabien write:
> > > Hi,

> > >Hmm, I think it's relevant to unsermake.
> > >There are some warnings in log about that.
> > >Try to use gnu make instead (gmake).
> > >
> > > Fabien
> >
> > Do you mean simply replacing all "make" by "gmake" in
> > "compile_digikam.sh"? I tried that, but it leads to the same errors.
> >
> > I just doublechecked: I have installed both unsermake and GNU make. I'm
> > not sure, but I guess on my system "make" is similar to "gmake". So I
> > gave it another try replacing all 8 "make" in the script by "unsermake"
> > (including those in "make install") .
> >
> > Now the process went further, but then stopped after compiling/linking
> > kipi-plugins with:
> >
> > /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.0.2/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld:
> > cannot find -lkipiplugins
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > Error creating ./kipi-plugins/mpegencoder/kipiplugin_mpegencoder.la. Exit
> > status 1.
> >
> > the complete output is here:
> > http://www.daniel-bauer.com/test/digikamunsermake.txt
> >
> > What else can I try?
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Hi Daniel. I'm happy to see in this room (:=))
>
> The problem is to use automake program (from GNU autotools package) instead
> unsermake (witch is not supported by digiKam team).
>
> automake is an old program, a mittle bit complicated to manage but very
> powerfull. unsermake have been developped by KDE team to remplace automake,
> but, it's not finalized and can break compilation. We have no time to debug
> another BUILD tools, and we want to support the standard way diffused on
> all linux box.
>
> Also, in the future (KDE4), the new tool CMake will be used. it's a
> powerfull remplacant of automake. This is why i won't lost some time with
> unsermake. When digikam and co will be ported to Qt4/KDE4, CMake will be
> used instead automake.
>
> Here, on my computers (2 at home, 15 in my office), i'm trying to compile
> digiKam and co under a lots of linux box (Mandriva 2005/2006/2007, Suse
> 10.1, Kubuntu) and all use automake.
>
> Friendly
>
> Gilles

Hi Gilles, hi Fabien

Since Fabien told me to uninstall unsermake, and after your explenations
above, I finally decided to unistall it and check "risk an unstable
system"...

And, guess what: the compile run successfully!

So, Fabien was right.  For Suse-Users it seems to be important that unsermake
is *not* installed when compiling digikam. (I will see tomorrow if my PC
still boots and runs correctly, but as far as I saw in the conflicts list,
only kde-devel packages are affected - at least, thats what I hope :-) )

Right now digikam is crashing immediately after showing the splash screen
animal - but thats another story and I'm going to read thru the mailing list
mails tomorrow before asking further questions here ;-)

Thanks for the support!

Daniel
Madagascar special: http://www.sanic.ch