[Digikam-users] "Install digiKam in your Home Directory" wouldn't work :-(

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Tue Nov 14 17:30:07 GMT 2006

Le Mardi 14 Novembre 2006 17:06, Daniel Bauer a écrit :
> Hi, (sorry for braking the thread. I received only part of the emails from
> the list yet and found your answer in the online archive...)
>
> Fabien write:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Daniel Bauer wrote:
> >> After a long time with no time for experiments (always working with
> >> 0.8.2 > and
> >> sometimes with a old svn-version from 2.6.2006...) I found the scripts
> >> on your website (http://www.digikam.org/?q=download/svn)  to install the
> >> svn version in a separate directory.
> >>
> >> But the digikam-compile ends with errors:
> >>

> >> What did I do wrong?
> >> Do I have to change some other settings/prefeixes...? (I am working on
> >> OpenSuse 10.0, KDE 3.5.4)
> >
> >Hmm, I think it's relevant to unsermake.
> >There are some warnings in log about that.
> >Try to use gnu make instead (gmake).
> >
> > Fabien
>
> Do you mean simply replacing all "make" by "gmake" in "compile_digikam.sh"?
> I tried that, but it leads to the same errors.
>
> I just doublechecked: I have installed both unsermake and GNU make. I'm not
> sure, but I guess on my system "make" is similar to "gmake". So I gave it
> another try replacing all 8 "make" in the script by "unsermake" (including
> those in "make install") .
>
> Now the process went further, but then stopped after compiling/linking
> kipi-plugins with:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.0.2/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lkipiplugins
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> Error creating ./kipi-plugins/mpegencoder/kipiplugin_mpegencoder.la. Exit
> status 1.
>
> the complete output is here:
> http://www.daniel-bauer.com/test/digikamunsermake.txt
>
> What else can I try?
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel. I'm happy to see in this room (:=))

The problem is to use automake program (from GNU autotools package) instead
unsermake (witch is not supported by digiKam team).

automake is an old program, a mittle bit complicated to manage but very
powerfull. unsermake have been developped by KDE team to remplace automake,
but, it's not finalized and can break compilation. We have no time to debug
another BUILD tools, and we want to support the standard way diffused on all
linux box.

Also, in the future (KDE4), the new tool CMake will be used. it's a powerfull
remplacant of automake. This is why i won't lost some time with unsermake.
When digikam and co will be ported to Qt4/KDE4, CMake will be used instead
automake.

Here, on my computers (2 at home, 15 in my office), i'm trying to compile
digiKam and co under a lots of linux box (Mandriva 2005/2006/2007, Suse 10.1,
Kubuntu) and all use automake.

Friendly

Gilles