[Digikam-users] hiding "empty" albums

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Nov 14 13:58:13 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 01:11:52PM +0100, Fabien wrote:

> I would suggest you to not create a deep tree.

Indeed that's what I had deducted...

> Personally, I store pictures like that :
> 2006-11-12_week-end_xxx
> 2006-11-04_week-end_yyy
> etc...
> Then, I put best pictures inside and create a subdir others for other
> pictures I want to keep :)
>
> Then, you can put a few albums in a Collection (check album properties)
> and use view/sort by collection.

I thought about that, but couldn't do it since I wanted to split
"normal" pictures and "under water" pictures.

But I think you're right.
As a matter of fact the "tag" concept (which is actually the good way
to go) is redundant with directory hierarchy (which is in fact a
(wrong) way of tagging (with the file system)).

To take this argument to the limit, the concept of album should not
"physically" or statically exist. Instead, an album should, to me,
just be the *dynamic* result of a view or a search.  Of course, that
concept already exists in digikam (through the search tab for
instance), but it just somehow collapse with the "album as a
directory" concept.

Don't get me wrong : this is by no mean a criticism, just a
thought. Digikam seems to be really well done and thought out.

> >>Are you tried to use the Album flat view via View/Soert
> >>Album/By categories ?
> >

> > Maybe we're not talking about the same version bacause I don't have
> > this menu item.
> > I'm using the english version of Digikam 0.8.2/KDE 3.5.5 on Kubuntu
> > 6-10 desktop i386.
>
> It's not in the svn version, too.
>
> > I read the digikam handbook on
> >
> >   http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/index.html
> >
> > but found no reference to "Categories". In the "View/Sort Album" menu,
> > I only have "By Folder", "By Collection", "By Date" items.
> >
> > I guess what you call a category is a "Tag".
> I rather think of a collection...

must be that.

> If you are ready to experiment, you should try the latest beta release.

I will

> Maybe you could wait a few days because Gilles announced there will be a
> release candidate soon.

> Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking time to help!

--