[Digikam-users] hiding "empty" albums

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:11:52 GMT 2006

Thomas Hummel wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 09:48:49PM +0100, Caulier Gilles wrote:

>>No way directly.
>

> I see. Thanks for your answer.
>
> So would you advise, to use digikam efficiently, to store pictures in
> a simple layout on disk (i.e. no subfolders without images in it) ?

I would suggest you to not create a deep tree.
Personally, I store pictures like that :
2006-11-12_week-end_xxx
2006-11-04_week-end_yyy
etc...
Then, I put best pictures inside and create a subdir others for other
pictures I want to keep :)

Then, you can put a few albums in a Collection (check album properties)
and use view/sort by collection.

>>Are you tried to use the Album flat view via View/Soert
>>Album/By categories ?
>

> Maybe we're not talking about the same version bacause I don't have
> this menu item.
> I'm using the english version of Digikam 0.8.2/KDE 3.5.5 on Kubuntu
> 6-10 desktop i386.

It's not in the svn version, too.

> I read the digikam handbook on
>
>   http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/index.html
>
> but found no reference to "Categories". In the "View/Sort Album" menu,
> I only have "By Folder", "By Collection", "By Date" items.
>
> I guess what you call a category is a "Tag".
I rather think of a collection...

> The only way I can have a flat view sorted by tags is, as expected, in
> the "tags" tab located on the left sidebar.
If you are ready to experiment, you should try the latest beta release.
Maybe you could wait a few days because Gilles announced there will be a
release candidate soon.

Hope this helps.

--
Fabien