[Digikam-users] problems with ICC profiles

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Fri May 19 20:47:05 BST 2006

Le Vendredi 19 Mai 2006 07:41 PM, Gerhard Kulzer a écrit :
> On Friday 19 May 2006 18:32, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> > >
> > > Screenshots sent in private, images (c) from Daniel (:=)))...
> > >
> > > Gilles
> >
> > As already said in PM: thank you very much, Gilles!
> >
> > I achieved the same result in 0.9.0 svn. It is not bad, but it is not
> > perfect yet ;-)  but at least a great step ahead :-)
> >
> > I have put samples of this pictures here:
> >
> > 1) photo as the canon-program on Win98 made it without any corrections
> > (then saved as 16bit-TIFF and resized and saved as jpg with photoshop
> > 5.0): http://www.daniel-bauer.com/test/6057_09_canon.jpg
> >
> > 2) same picture in 0.9.0 svn with setting as shown by you (resized and
> > saved as jpg within digikam 0.9.0):
> > http://www.daniel-bauer.com/test/6057_009_editor.jpg
> >
> > 3) same, then with "automatic color correction" by digikam:
> > http://www.daniel-bauer.com/test/6057_009_automatic.jpg
> >
> > I think, the "canon" ist the most "vivid" one. What do you think?
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Well IMHO 3) is the best. Ts shows the most nuances/depths, look at the
> wrinkles in the sheets, its has the best 3D effect and clarity to me. I'm
> less certain about the hue, only the one who knows the source can judge..

Yes.

Gerhard,

About handbook, ICC profile settings and RAW workflow need to be explained
very well. It's not a simple task to do. I have some idea. We will do it at
the right moment, later. I need to have a clear mind (:=)))

But to resume this thread, we can said tha sometimes camera maker profiles
work fine (Minolta for example), sometimes no and investigations are require
to find the right files.

Other susject that nobody have talk in this thread is the icc profile file
auto-selection, according with 'make' and 'model' Exif tags (like UFRAW has
planed to do)

This way require a camera icc files repository with all camera profiles that
the digiKam users need to use (if he has more that one camera)

A setup table is require where the user set witch profile need to be use with
'make/model' Exif tags found in image (JPEG, RAW, TIFF/EP). When you start
image editor, digiKam look in this table and choose the right profile
automaticly.

I have planed to do it later 0.9.0

Gilles