[Digikam-users] problems with ICC profiles

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Thu May 18 18:01:03 BST 2006

Hello

I have two, a practical and a theoretical, problems with ICC profiles for
digiKam 0.9.0:
---
practical:

I can't find any profile that works with the CR2-files from my Canon 20D. I've
downloaded what I found, tried all combinations... the picture is always too
dark. The Camera is set up to use sRGB.

in UFraw I use it's built-in sRGB for in- and output. That works ok. But
digiKam wouldn't accept any of the sRGB-profiles I found as a camera profile
(it doesn't show them in the setup box of camera/input profile, they appear
only in workspace/monitor setup box)

Now, what can I do?
- Is there a possibility to create a profile myself somehow - without making a
degree as doctor-colour-space :-))

- Are there some "standard"-profiles that give acceptable results somewhere?

- and: it's acceptable for professionals if digiKam requires them to learn
some color management stuff (willy-nilly I'll have to go into this when I
find the time), but are there any thoughts about what the "common home user"
can do, who just wants to plug in his/her camera and have the photos in nice
colours without getting involved in color management but nevertheless uses
raw files?

---
and the theoretical question:

those ICC profiles I've seen are copyrighted. Are there any thoughts what
happens, when one uses a profiled image-file on the web, in a photo data
base, or delivered to a picture agency, and the copyright-holder doesn't like
that? This possibly applies to photoshop as well, but probably they'll pay
the royalties to the copyright-holders, and they are not open-source... I'm
just thinking about the dvd css problems with linux... Has this already been
discussed or is this question obsolete anyway?

regards

Daniel

special interest site: http://www.bauer-nudes.com