[Digikam-users] Sony DSC-S40 Cyber-shot

David Matthews dmatthews at mailc.net
Sat Jul 15 14:39:08 BST 2006

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:00:17 +0200
digikam-users-request at kde.org wrote:

> digiKam relies on gphoto2, it uses its API to interface the cameras.

yes I understand this

> David, if you have root access and no user access I guess that gphoto is
> installed but you are not member of the 'camera' group. The udev/hotplug
> scripts that come with gphoto will set the device to 660 or 664 with
> root:camera ownership. I my diagnosis is right just do as root:
> $ addgroup 'user' camera

Thanks for this is interesting suggestion Gerhard!  However there is no camera group on my system and I look in vain for any scripts in the packages I have that might alter device permissions. Incidently, I have unofficial Slackware packages for digikam and all its dependancies, maybe I should have compiled from source, but the the linux packages site had excellent reviews for them.

If I just know what device is involved I can change its permissions manually.
--
David

dmatthews at mailc.net
Public key at hkp://www.keys.eu.pgp.net
and http://pooter.sourceforge.net/dmatthews.asc

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill. The
element that makes the bond good makes the bill good ?
It is absurd to say that our country can issue $30,000,000 in bonds and
not $30,000,000 in currency." [Thomas Edison, Quoted in The New York Times, 6 December 1921]
http://www.prosperityuk.com/prosperity/prosperity.html