[Digikam-users] Sony DSC-S40 Cyber-shot

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Fri Jul 14 18:01:06 BST 2006

Am Freitag, 14. Juli 2006 16:43 schrieb Res:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, David Matthews wrote:
> >> The camera is set to PTP;  Digikam will autodetect it,  but gives me a
> >> Connection failed error every time I try to connect. Editing the
> >> autodetected camera to the correct model makes no difference.
> >>
> >> Can anyone suggest anything here?
> >
> > Replying to my own question here; a work around, I discovered, is to run
> > digikam as root, or use sudo. Doesn't seem that elegant a way of doing
> > things though. Is there a device file I should change the permissions of?
>
> Has the same problem, but as it was unnaceptable to use root for other
> users, i installed gphoto to resolve it, however woulds be very nice if
> digikam overcame this

digiKam relies on gphoto2, it uses its API to interface the cameras.

David, if you have root access and no user access I guess that gphoto is
installed but you are not member of the 'camera' group. The udev/hotplug
scripts that come with gphoto will set the device to 660 or 664 with
root:camera ownership. I my diagnosis is right just do as root:
$ addgroup 'user' camera

Gerhard
--
http://www.gerhard.fr